What is the difference between average and greatness?
Alan Michaels is a former executive and corporate planner and is now on a mission to redefine how the world defines industry. For over 15 years he has been personally dissecting industry to such a granular level to help companies make smarter decisions. Alan is an expert at analyzing Big Data and is developing a content engine that will help companies all over the world derive the insights they need to drive competitive advantage. Probably Michael Porter's biggest fan, he has made a career around implementing the practices and theories from Porter's book Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance. He also shares how he has managed to classify nearly 17,000 industries, while Moore's Law has continued to create new industries at an exponential level.
Click to Tweet: Alan Michaels was featured on Launch to Greatness today!
The Struggle is Real:
- Alan shares that his biggest challenge was rooted in the fact that he truly pioneered this industry. There was no benchmark for how long this would take and how much money it would take. With no model to point to he had to endure a number of months of people calling him nuts until he produced sample work.
Celebrate the Victories:
- The three victories that Alan points to are finally acquiring a Fortune 500 client, Parker Hannifin, growing his LinkedIn group to 20,000 members, and having 15,000 industries identified within his system.
If I knew Then:
- The biggest thing Alan wished he knew when he started was the power of cloud computing. He wasted money developing large IT infrastructure and an IT department, when with today's technology he can spend much less time and money to accomplish better results in growing his database.
That ONE Thing:
- Do what you are passionate about or else you will be working hard on someone else's dream.
- Alan discusses the power of big data, and that the content engine he is developing can really shape the way we search for information, and the way results are delivered to us.
- He also shares how the Internet of Things is reshaping the world and that 41% of the industries out there will be directly effected by advancements.
- You know yourself better than anyone else, do what you want to do.
- BOOK: Michael Porter's Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
- ARTICLE: Michael Porter, Harvard Business Review
- LinkedIn Group: Corporate Planning, Strategy & Strategic Market Segmentation
- Industry Building Blocks
- Industry Building Blocks Overview Video
- Alan Michaels LinkedIn Profile
- Southern Tier Meet-Up